To lose weight the average person needs to take about 2,000 steps in the average mile.
One mile burns about 100 calories. This means your pedometer will help you keep track of your steps, how many miles you reach each day and how many calories you burn. It will also help you if you don’t have time to exercise. You can simply add steps to your daily routine.
1 Mile = 2,000 steps and 100 calories burned
1 Pound – 3,500 calories
1 Pound weight loss per week = 500 calorie deficit per day
To lose 1 pound per week you need to add 10,000 steps to your day.
If 10,000 steps sounds a lot, here are a few ideas on how to fit all that walking into your busy day (remember – you don’t need to start from 10,000 steps. Start gradually – you will just lose less weight).
- Get off the bus early and walk the rest of the way home or to work.
- Park your car further away from your destination and walk the extra distance.
- Walk to the station instead of taking the car or bus.
- Take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Walk the children to school.
Bottom line … just get out and walk somewhere!