Shelby had a few girls spend the night last last weekend and I am tired of always “serving” them cereal and frozen waffles in the morning for breakfast. I remembered I found a recipe for baked french toast casserole awhile back on Pinterest and decided to give it a shot. I changed up the recipe a tad to make it a little bit more “skinny”.
I also had a bunch of hot dog buns in the pantry that needed to be used up before they … you know … molded 🙂 One of my New Year’s resolutions this year was to try to stop wasting food and find ways to use up things that had been forgotten in the pantry, fridge, and freezer.
To make the casserole you will need:
1 loaf Sourdough Or French Bread (I used hot dog buns as I mentioned!)
8 whole eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup half and half
3/4 cups Sugar (I used Splenda)
2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, cut in pieces
1. Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish with butter.
2. Break bread into large chunks and evenly lay out in dish.
3. Whisk together eggs, milk, half and half, sugar (or other sweetener) and vanilla. Pour evenly over bread.
4. Cover and store in fridge for several hours or overnight.
5. In another bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and salt. Add butter and mash into the dry mixture until it all comes together. You can store this overnight as well or make right before baking in the morning.
The next morning …
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Crumble topping and sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
3. To add extra topping to cover the entire top … combine 2 tbsp flour, 2 tbsp brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon (same stuff as the pre-made topping, minus the butter). Sprinkle over top of casserole as well.
4. Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more moist texture. Bake an hour or more for a firmer, less moist texture.
5. Sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top and serve with syrup.
This was a hit with everyone! Impossible to guess that I made this with hot dog buns! Score one for me using up something that was about to go bad in the pantry.
Do you try and use up what you have in the pantry before heading to the grocery store yet again?